Sunday, March 2, 2014

this is what a pastor writes like

I am back after yet another hiatus.  Maybe this will just be the norm?  We'll see.  

Maybe I was doubting myself a bit with ye olde blog.  I figure what do I have to say?  Blogs seem kind of self indulgent, sometimes.  And, aren't there enough mainline pastors out there, churning out book reviews, discussing the latest current event through their own theological lens, or trying to amp up their hipster side with a post about how Mumford and Sons will definitely preach?  

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but good to check ourselves once in awhile, no?

So, I'm back because I was inspired last week.  You see, I belong to a little group called The Young Clergywomen Project.  We have a private group on Facebook where we share stories and questions, and offer one another support and ideas.  It's pretty cool.  And, last week, a young clergywoman, while wearing her clerical collar, was told, "you're not what I expect a pastor to look like."  Or something like that.  Well, SHE decided that we needed to band together and share with each other exactly what a pastor looks like.

We all took selfies of what we were doing at that moment with the hashtag #thisiswhatapastorlookslike, and uploaded them to our group.  And all of a sudden there were probably 100 photos uploaded of beautiful, smart, funny, brave, faithful women sharing photos of EXACTLY what a pastor looks like.  

I uploaded mine- actually, I was one of the first.  I added the hashtag #runrevrun.


I decided to come back to blog because my audience isn't just other pastors.  I write as ministry.  I write to support other women (especially young women).  I write as a spiritual practice.  I write because I'm a pastor with a congregation who might want to know what I have to say.  I write because the internet is a magical world where we can all be published.  I write because I am called, and faithful, and I have truth to share.  I write because #thisiswhatapastorwriteslike.

Just had to get that out.  Onward and upward!





No comments:

Post a Comment