Tuesday, August 28, 2012

laugh with me.

Well, I decided to try my hand at blogging again!

I've tried a few times before with no luck.  The blog world is so big now that I figured no one would care about what I have to say.


But, really, there's so much negative politics, a lot of bad theology, and many bloggers that perpetuate consumerism masked as "design", that I thought "certainly I can contribute something worthwhile to the wider world."


And so, there you have it, folks, my rationale for blogging a blog that will be lifestyle meets practical theology meets art/design (hopefully).


I also think it'll be good to discipline myself to write.  Especially because writing for pleasure isn't something I do very often, and that is sad!  It's such a gift to be able to create in this way.  And if people read it, that's just icing on the cake.


For now, though, I'll leave you with a bit about my blog name.  "So Sarah Laughed" comes from the book of Genesis, chapters 18 and 21.  I won't go into the whole story- many of you know it- but I simply love these verses and try to remember them as often as I can.


Sarah and Abraham were so surprised by God's gift of a son later in life, and so filled with joy, that they named him Isaac, which in Hebrew means "He will laugh" or "God laughs".  In any case, these verses remind me that there is so much surprise, not only in life, but in our vocations, as well.  Life is filled with the unknown and unexpected; just when we think we're done with one transition, we're faced with the next.  And if we're not careful (I'm preaching to myself here, too) we can forget to find joy where there only seems to be newness, strangeness, lostness, etc.


This blog is, I suppose, an effort on my part to practice gratitude, to laugh, to think, to pray, to theologize, to be prophetic (or, at least, work on it), to articulate grace, to seek beauty, to be joyful, to make an offering, and to try and laugh at myself (not a lack of situations to laugh at myself about).


So, bear with me, friends.  I'm about to embark on this vulnerable blogging journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment